Sharjah Library was established in 1925, which was then called ‘Qasimi Library’.
Located in Sharjah Fort, the library was founded by His Highness Shaikh Sultan bin Saqr Al Qasimi.
This library was originally founded by H.H. Shaikh Sultan bin Saqr Al Qasimi as his private library, , along with another library in Al Bait Al Gharbi. After the demise of His Highness in 1951, Qasimi Library was inherited by the Ruler His Highness Shaikh Saqr bin Sultan Al Qasimi. In 1956 it was shifted to a new building constructed in the courtyard of the fort in the host’s building. In addition to the library, the head quarters of Naturalization Department, a reception hall and a private office for His Highness Shaikh Saqr bin Sultan Al Qasimi, were also functioning in the same building. Later, the library came under His Highness Sheikh Khalid bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, from whom it was shifted to His Highness Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, the present Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah.
His Highness Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammad Al Qasimi gave his instruction to shift the library to Sharjah Municipality building, near to Africa Hall and the library was renamed as ‘Sharjah Library’.
During the period that witnessed the integration of Sharjah departments with the country’s federal establishments, the library was functioning under the Ministry of Information for a short period. However, His Highness The Ruler of Sharjah claimed the library back and brought it under the Department of Culture & Information, Sharjah